struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dojo plugin update using 1.1.0 framework
Date Sun, 06 Apr 2008 02:16:53 GMT
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Jeromy Evans <
jeromy.evans@blueskyminds.com.au> wrote:

> Agreed.  The Dojo 0.43 plugin in Struts2.1.1 contains significant
> improvements over the Dojo 0.40 tags bundled in 2.0.x.  It's worth releasing
> as-is and I'd give it a +1 today.
>
> It sounds like there's enough people interested to complete a Dojo 1.x
> plugin.  I also think it's worth creating a googlecode project for it until
> it reaches a certain level of maturity.  The benefit of googlecode over the
> sandpit is the low barrier to contribute and informal releases.

If you start the project at Google Code, remember that you will have to come
through the Incubator, one way or another, to get the code back into Struts,
even if that's just the IP Clearance route. And if, by "low barrier to
contribute", you mean that you want to grant committership to people who are
not Struts committers, then remember that either those people will lose
commit rights when you bring the code back here, or you will have to go
through a different incubation process to deal with the additional
committers.

On the other hand, creating the project in the Struts sandbox means that it
is immediately open to any Struts committer, all of the resources are
already set up, and getting a release out is dependent only upon a vote to
move the code from the sandbox to the main code line. I'd say that path will
be a whole lot less hassle - unless, that is, you expect the Dojo 1.x plugin
to be a major project that requires additional committers and spans an
extended period of time to get into shape equivalent to that of today's Dojo
plugin.

--
Martin Cooper