struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip Luppens" <philip.lupp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Weekly, daily, hourly?! FAQ/README on Struts User?
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:35:34 GMT
On 3/12/08, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> If it's just finding the docs, perhaps the home page needs to provide
>  a more obvious switchboard to the site. There are now three main
>  areas, Struts 1, Struts 2, and the Struts Project (shared pages).
>  Maybe the same type of big-ass buttons we have on the the Struts 2
>  page.
>
>  Perhaps we should also add some "Read the Manual" links to the top of
>  the Mailing List page.
>
>   * http://struts.apache.org/mail.html
>
>  On the top page, the first support link is "User Mailing List", and so
>  maybe newbies aren't digging deeper first.

I think you're giving most newbies too much credit; those that are
really looking for the answer (as opposed to those that just want
their problem solved URGENT PLZ) will use Google, the wiki, the source
code, the archives, etc .. I don't think adding the buttons there will
solve the problem. Otoh, nothing to lose, so let's just add them. If
it doesn't help, ..

I believe the old WW forum approach (an announcement containing some
do's and don't's, links to the Jira, Wiki, archives, etc ..) was quite
efficient and hard to ignore (some still managed, though). Of course,
such a thing is quite hard to enforce since we're on a mailinglist,
unless we indeed were to go with a daily/weekly/.. mail. I believe the
number of daily mails would be sufficient not to generate too much
noise (and even then, maybe we could tie it to the number of topics
posted .. eg. every 50 topics).

My 2 cents.

Phil

[snip]
--
Software Architect - Hydrodesk
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."