struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XAP Support (WAS: Re: [s2] Let's get out Struts 2.1.1)
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:48:18 GMT
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Antonio Petrelli <
antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/2/21, Musachy Barroso <musachy@gmail.com>:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Al Sutton <al.sutton@alsutton.com>
> wrote:
> > > Before a GA release of 2.1 I'd ideally like to see dojo upgraded to
> the
> > >  latest, greatest stable version,
> >

> > I have totally changed my position about the dojo plugin. I think
> > Struts should have some ajax functionality for the most commom use
> > cases, but I think we just picked the wrong ajax framework.
>

> What about the XAP framework then:
> http://incubator.apache.org/xap/
> At least that team have already scratched their head :-)

Well, understand that XAP is still in the incubator and is frankly a long
way from graduating. Also, I would not look to XAP to solve any "there might
be significant changes between versions" problem, given that they are in the
process of creating their 0.5.0 release right now, and therefore well behind
Dojo on the API stability curve.

We've had Dojo support in S2 for quite some time now, and Dojo has since
significantly stabilised and improved. It's not at all clear to me that
jumping horses would be a good thing, given that we already have a bunch of
people using the Dojo-based code, and given that switching to a new code
base will reset us to square one when it comes to ironing out the issues
that we will inevitably discover in whatever framework we might switch to.

--
Martin Cooper