struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: invent way to get dropdown data in JSP not using actions or taglibs?
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:45:43 GMT
It seems like this is a variation on the Preparable theme. I went
through this decision process 9 months ago and decided to use the
<s:action> tag to prepare my forms, mostly for lack of any other solution.

A few more things I ran into that I wanted and could only achieve with
the <s:action>

- Share preparation between actions/forms without sub-classing. This
occurs when you have two actions that share a form (add and edit for
example) and both prepare the form in very similar ways, with some
differences. The common preparation code should be written once and then
accessible by both actions.

- The preparation logic should ONLY be called when the form is rendered.
If I'm remembering correctly, any action that implements Preparable is
called via the interceptor chain during all submissions, including a
valid form submission where the form doesn't need to be prepared again.
The solution should be capable of understanding that the form is being
rendered.

Here's some more ideas for solutions:

1. Modify the <s:form> tag so that if the action it is going to call
implements Preparable than it is invoked prior to rendering the rest of
the form. This would require removing the prepare interceptor altogether
or removing it from the default stack.

2. Add a <s:prepare> tag that somehow calls the preparation code.

3. Make the prepare interceptor more intelligent to understand when
forms are being rendered (is this possible without major headaches?)

-bp