struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [s2] Roadmap for the core taglib
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2007 23:32:20 GMT
The key point is that we don't have to demonstrate all the flexibility
in the examples that we post at the site. People who don't know what
choices to make, will look at our examples, and just follow those.

As to the examples we post, I would like to pick a stack that we can
all support, and use it to write "best practices" examples. For
example, I'm not a fan of JSP, but I do agree that we should use JSP,
because that's what everyone understands and can at least maintain.
And, if when we post  FreeMarker or Velocity examples, we should label
them as "alternatives". (Even though I personally prefer Velocity.)

And now that we have the JPA, I would also like to use it to power the
MailReader, and other examples, and maybe work on some Eclipse tools
to make it all quite painless.  Right now, everyone knows that
JPA/Hibernate, Spring, and Struts/JSP is the defacto industry standard
stack, and that's what we should use in our examples.

As to the rest of it, there's a saying in ASF circles: Let Darwin Decide.

No one here is compelled to support anything. If no one knows the
answer to a question, then the question doesn't get answered.
Likewise, if something doesn't work as well as it might, and no one
submits a patch, it doesn't get maintained. In the end, what gets
supported and maintained will be a function of what each volunteer
chooses to support and maintain.

It's also important to recognize that the flexibility is being born
out of actual need. OGNL is scary, and the templating system is
ongoing source of performance complaints. If we were making decisions
based on support effort, then these are the first two things that
should go.

-Ted.