struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Pre-Assigning Tickets (was Re: [S2] Mess with WW-1942)
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2007 11:23:40 GMT
As a rule, I would suggest that we avoid assigning tickets to
ourselves or to each other, or even to ourselves, until we have
actually, that minute, started work on the ticket. In an open
volunteer environment, pre-assigning tickets undermines volunteerism
and and promotes bottlenecking.

Pre-assigning tickets undermines volunteerism in two ways. First, it
discourages other volunteers from stepping up and working on the
ticket themselves. Second, it implies that the volunteer is not a
volunteer, but is now compelled to work on this ticket. Unfortunately,
we all have competing responsibilities to which the ASF takes a "back
seat", and it's hard to guarantee when we will be able to do
something, if we are not doing it right now.

The volunteerism problems then tend to create a bottleneck. Other
people shy away because it's been pre-assigned, and, often, the
pre-assignee can't work on it "now" because of competing
responsibilities.

A key concept is that everyone on the PMC is jointly and severally
responsible for the code. We are all entitled, and encourged, to work
on any aspect of the codebase. We don't use the "maintainer" module,
and if one us can't work on something, then another one of us should
step up and take care of business.

-Ted.

HTH, Ted <http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/>