struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge Able/Code Behind/Zero-Config/SmartURLs into view-behind specification
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:55:01 GMT
On Nov 1, 2007 6:34 PM, Jeromy Evans <jeromy.evans@blueskyminds.com.au> wrote:
> While on the topic, with respect to defaults/exceptions etc, can I ask
> the specification addresses how invalid URLs are handled.

The specification implies that the implementation should raise a 404.

> In the
> current implementation (0.18) invalid URL's return (unexpected?) success
> results.
>
> ie. http:///www.example.com/invalid/path/to/resource  currently maps to
> the IndexAction at /  (incorrectly?)
>
> Namespace precedence also seems to be an issue when handling invalid
> paths and needs to be specified:
>
> ie.
> Assuming pets.IndexAction exists:
> http://www.example.com/pets    maps to pets.IndexAction (as expected);
> but the URL:
> http://www.example.com/pets/dogs maps to /IndexAction if
> pets.dogs.IndexAction does not exist rather than pets.IndexAction or an
> exception (which is expected?)

So far, treating the namespaces as a hierarchy has not been the
expected behavior. Struts 2 checks the current namespace for a result,
and then the default (empty) namespace. So the behavior you describe
is consistent with the rest of Struts 2.

Although, as mentioned elsewhere, viewing the namespaces as a
hierarchy may be more useful.

> My point is, it's currently ambiguous how these exceptions should be
> handled.  Between these and the issues already in the issuelist, my
> experience with SmartURLs 0.18 hasn't yet been positive except in the
> simplest of use-cases.  I do feel the approach is great and needed
> though and I'm looking forward to the enhancements.

Could you be more specific as to what enhancements would be the most useful?

I find that making the best use of SmartURLs does mean taking a fresh
look at the application, and sometimes refactoring the layout, much
the same way we sometimes refactor a database schema to work better
with ORM systems, like Hibernate or JPA.

-Ted.