struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge Able/Code Behind/Zero-Config/SmartURLs into view-behind specification
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:30:57 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2007 2:50 PM, Brian Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com> wrote:
>
>> I've completely moved away from methods and bangs. It makes the code
>> more readable, and maintainable in my opinion and it reduces the
>> learning curve considerably.
>>

> What do you do about use cases like skipping validation on input or
> going elsewhere on cancel?

I think my simple CRUD example will shed a lot of light on my methods,
but here's a rough run down:

Actions
------------
Add - Empty
Edit - Fetch entity by id
Prepare - Prepares selects and other associations for the form
Save - Validates and inserts
Update - Validates and updates
Delete - Deletes entity or multiple entities
Index - Displays the list of entities

----------
add.jsp - Header block and includes form.jsp
edit.jsp - Header block and includes form.jsp
form.jsp - The form (uses the Prepare action)
index.jsp - The list page

The form has a cancel button that uses the "redirect-action:index"
syntax. The edit form also has a delete button that uses the action syntax.

The only place I use the input result is in the Save and Update classes
for results that go back to the add and edit JSPs. These two classes can
also be collapsed into a single class or use a parent class to reduce
overhead. Those two and delete are the only ones with annotations for
different results and redirects.

I was planning on attempting a different validation and handling path
that condensed this all some more using rails like POST only handling
for validation and processing. That would remove a few annotations, but
might not be worth it.

Anyways, I'll get that application up and running as soon as I can.
Hopefully have it working over the weekend.

-bp