struts-dev mailing list archives

From Jeromy Evans <jeromy.ev...@blueskyminds.com.au>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Merge Able/Code Behind/Zero-Config/SmartURLs into view-behind specification
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:34:45 GMT
Brian Pontarelli wrote:

> Besides that, I feel that everything else is fine and all we would be
> adding would be features. Nothing else really needs to be completely
> changed, but these two changes would impact applications that are
> already built on SmartURLs and codebehind.
>
> So, if I bang out this specification, which would include the existing
> functionality with the changes above and a few other things I want to
> add in terms of features (i.e. searching / interceptors / defaults /
> exceptions / etc), would you feel comfortable writing the book against
> that?

While on the topic, with respect to defaults/exceptions etc, can I ask
the specification addresses how invalid URLs are handled.  In the
current implementation (0.18) invalid URL's return (unexpected?) success
results.

ie. http:///www.example.com/invalid/path/to/resource  currently maps to
the IndexAction at /  (incorrectly?)

Namespace precedence also seems to be an issue when handling invalid
paths and needs to be specified:

ie.
Assuming pets.IndexAction exists:
http://www.example.com/pets    maps to pets.IndexAction (as expected);
but the URL:
http://www.example.com/pets/dogs maps to /IndexAction if
pets.dogs.IndexAction does not exist rather than pets.IndexAction or an
exception (which is expected?)

My point is, it's currently ambiguous how these exceptions should be
handled.  Between these and the issues already in the issuelist, my
experience with SmartURLs 0.18 hasn't yet been positive except in the
simplest of use-cases.  I do feel the approach is great and needed
though and I'm looking forward to the enhancements.

regards,
 Jeromy Evans