struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Wes Wannemacher" <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: Should we add serialVersionUID fields for example applications?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:53:06 GMT
I've been getting this in Eclipse WTP forever. I ignored it for a while,
using quick fix is sort of bad because (if I understand correctly) the point
of a serialVersionUID is to create a number that maps to the class's
signature so that when de-serializing, a recipient will know if the
serialized version of the class is compatible with what it is looking for.
Why I think this is bad? Well, if I start working I'll see this warning
right away and "quick fix" it. Then, I'll start coding, which may or may not
include changing the classes methods. I have to remember at this point to
change the serialVersionUID. It's nice that Eclipse warns that no
serialVersionUID exists, but it's sort of counter-productive IMO.

-Wes