struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Should we add serialVersionUID fields for example applications?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:42:28 GMT
So, for complicated reasons, I'm trying to use Eclipse more these days.

Something it likes to do is nag that "The serializable class
$classname does not declare a static final serialVersionUID field of
type long".

Since the Actions are serializable, we get this alot :)

A seemingly good explanation of the message is here:

 * http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=581654&messageID=3501336

Do we want to go ahead and add the field and silence the nag? Or just
turn it off in our Eclipse IDEs? Or add the "@SupressWarnings"
annotations? Otherwise, it's hard to tell if we've addressed any other
warnings.

If we were to add it and use the "quick fix", should we "add a default
serial ID" or  "add generated serial ID"?

-Ted.