struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:00:20 GMT
Well, the configuration provider is kinda a pain right now. I started a
thread a while back about making configuration providers pluggable via
the struts-plugin.xml file. I think it sorta died  because you can use
init parameters to setup providers in web.xml.

In addition, if you want to use the extensionless support as well as all
the index support of the plugin it requires a completely different
filter, but it would be much nicer to have everything just plug-in and
run with as little configuration as possible.

If we keep it a plugin then I would suggest removing zero-config from
core so that they don't conflict. I'd probably also want to rework the
DispatcherFilter to make it more pluggable so that the majority of the
work is from injections and then it can be changed without modifying the
web.xml. Lastly, the configuration providers need to be easier to setup.
This would probably require a more robust configuration mechanism that
would pre-inject configuration providers and then inject the rest of the
container.

However, all that said, I think this should be in core. The beauty of
frameworks like Rails and Grails is that they give all the conventions
right out of the box. I feel like Struts should try to strive to match
the ease of these other frameworks. Otherwise, it requires the users to
actually know that the plugin exists, go find it, install it and then
learn it all.

-bp