struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ing. Andrea Vettori" <m...@andreavettori.com>
Subject Re: Preventing OGNL evaluations of user input (was Re: Struts 2 performance)
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:21:54 GMT
Antonio,

the recursion solve the problem because after the first "step" you
are exposing to the remote exploit. The first evaluation step is secure.

If you have %{foo} somewhere and you evaluate it if the property foo
does not contain an expression you are safe. If it contains an
expression you are recursive-evaluating and that's the problem.

You can't have a circular-reference (like the one that caused me to
find this big problem) if you disable recursion.

Moreover I think it is always a good coding practice when using
recursion to have a max loop limit to break off the loop if something
goes wrong.

It's the way the patch is implemented (I noticed my fault after
posting the patch) that prevents expression that is not recursive
like "%{foo} %{bar}" to be evaluated. I don't think it's a problem
but we should know that this type of expressions will not be
evaluated after installing the patch.

Maybe Don has addressed this kind of expression in his patch... I'll
take a look at it later.

--
Ing. Andrea Vettori
Consulente per l'Information Technology