struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Voting Process (was Re: Struts 2.0.9 release (was Re: S2 security fix release planning (XWork 2.0.4 is out)))
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:56:39 GMT
On 7/28/07, Don Brown <mrdon@twdata.org> wrote:
> While I suppose consulting the PMC would have been appropriate, I disagree
> all votes, no matter what, should be open for 72 hours.  In this case, a
> severe security fix release, we should allow a shorter time.   Perhaps that
> would be 12 or 18 hours, but certainly no more than 24.  Just because the
> fix took a few days to arrive doesn't mean we can afford to waste another 3
> days just for process' sake.

I don't have a problem with shorter periods for votes for good reason,
as in this case - I didn't like the "this vote will pass as soon as I
get 3 +1s" - every vote IMO should have a stated timescale. Also there
was no need to waste 3 more days to ask the PMC to change the usual
practice since it could easily have been done in advance - the issue
has been ongoing for 2-3 weeks and from what I can see organising the
release took several days - and a quick "btw does anyone object to a
vote lasting x hours for the security fix?" beforehand would have been
much better.

Niall