struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r553240 - /struts/struts1/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts/upload/CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.java
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 07:36:49 GMT
On 7/6/07, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
> > I see no discussion on FILEUPLOAD-140 with Jochen about this and that
> > would seem a more logical place to fix than here in Struts. If it has
> > merit then you should be able to convince him - or at least try. I'm
> > no expert on file upload or DoS, but my gut feel is its a hack to fix
> > a problem that has nothing to do with Struts - which we've generally
> > resisted in the past.
> >
> > Niall
> >
> You make a really good point. I thought about discussing this with him,
> but I wasn't quite sure he would care. It sounds like he might, based on
> your post, so I'll give it a shot.

He may not, but he has more of a clue about this stuff than me.

> It is true that the problem is not inside of Struts, but it's also true
> the request, when meeting the specific criteria, will hang indefinitely
> until the client's socket is terminated. Based on the ticket, it sounds
> like the user didn't find it in the example app but in his own
> development. Because this is likely to occur during normal development
> and isn't too-edgy of a use case, I found it important to fix. It can
> block development as well as production operations on a Windows box. The
> argument cuts both ways: would you prefer an indefinite blocking socket,
> or just completing the request with perhaps a large no-op upload? I
> believe the former is less ideal and the latter less likely to occur.

I have no clue as to the problem or solution - which is one reason I
was hoping you would discuss with Jochen. If you can't convince Jochen
its a good idea, then IMO its probably not a good idea for Struts
either - if you can convince him, then he'll change FileUpload and we
can remove it from Struts!

Niall