struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Roughley <...@fdar.com>
Subject Re: Preventing OGNL evaluations of user input (was Re: Struts 2 performance)
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:47:43 GMT
What do you define as "a user should not be allowed to execute such OGNL
code!"?  There are times that I want to call a static method and use the
results.  The problem to me (and as Don pointed out), is that there is
malicious code stored in the database that was entered by users - and is
a type of XSS attack.

The other option is that a hacker as access to your web app file system
and is changing a template.  If this is the case, my personal feeling is
that you should be glad they are only changing templates and not doing a
number of other things :-)

/Ian