struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Struts 1/2 and Logging
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 23:44:23 GMT
FWIW, my opinion would be go ahead and change it... unless someone can
show where it would cause trouble, I'm in the better safe than sorry
camp.  I know of a number of instances where I've seen Struts installed
in a shared way, either at EAR-level or something like Tomcat's shared
libs directory... I've never heard any trouble reported from those cases
though to be fair.

I think the performance/memory implications are the only thing that
might stop you from wanting to do this... perhaps some benchmarking is
in order?

Frank

Paul Benedict wrote:
> I use WAS 6.0 at work and it took me 3 full days to figure out how to
> get log4j working with it. Ugh. Yes, the software is an elephant.
>
> Anyway, despite the fact that Struts 1 supports only static logging, I
> believe this position could be evaluated. Correct me when wrong, but the
> article states that instance logging should belong in libraries that
> could be shared. What if a company wants to integrate Struts or XWork
> into their application server software? Perhaps a typically user
> wouldn't want to share Struts libraries in the parent classloader, but
> what about in  J2EE server? It's just a thought.
>
> It wouldn't be too hard to convert the static loggers.
>
> Paul
>
> Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>> Martin Cooper wrote:
>>> It would be the same thing in the sense of the "direction" of the class
>>> loader, and I would expect the same screwy things to happen. And if
>>> you're
>>> using WebFear, then I'd fully expect other screwy things to happen as
>>> well,
>>> as a free bonus. ;-)
>>
>> Hehe, I know *exactly* what you mean :)  Between WS and RAD, my hair
>> is starting to look like Bill Clinton's, but at a much younger age!
>>
>>> Martin Cooper
>>
>> Frank

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect