struts-dev mailing list archives

From Rene Gielen <rgie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts 1/2 and Logging
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:13:18 GMT
Very interesting article, indeed. Both WW and S2 use static loggers, as
it was always considered best practice...

On the other hand, the problem only applies if a shared classloader is
used, and I can hardly imagine a setup where struts jars are deployed
eg. in $CATALINA/commons/lib rather than being provided with the
deployed webapp. Is there any situation where we would recommend sharing
s1/s2/xw among applications, or where it really makes sense? Even if
calling Logger.getLog is not a real performance killer, I would prefer
to call it not on every single object instance creation if there is no
serious, non-exotic reason...

Regards,
Rene