struts-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r552390 - in /struts/struts1/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts/validator: FieldChecks.java LocalStrings.properties
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 06:03:13 GMT
Can you give me more direction on this point? You said people might rely
on this functionality, but while that may be true, it's also highly
unlikely anyone is because a log error entry was always emitted. To
allow the validation to then succeed opens up an unpredictable situation
for the application developer, which I think would be very worrisome. If
data must always be valid, then failing to access that data cannot be
considered a success.

This error condition should not be confused with a null or empty
property. This is asking to validate a field that doesn't exist. I do
not take this situation or change lightly, and IMO is a hole necessary
for patching. If you weren't logging an error already in Commons
Validator, there would be no disagreement from me; but because it is
clearly an error condition, it's an error that must also stop the use case.

Paul