struts-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: Struts plugin and configuration/initialization
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 14:08:20 GMT

Ted Husted wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Brian Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com> wrote:
>> I think perhaps it warrants a bit of discussion because if I were going
>> to tackle it I might be inclined to suggest that the struts-plugin.xml
>> be converted from an XWork configuration file to a new XML format that
>> would have a section specifically for XWork configuration and a separate
>> section for Struts configuration. Something like:
>
> struts-plugin.xml or struts.xml?
>
> For S2, we gave the framework its own XML DTD so that it could be more
> than just an XWork configuration.

Both. Ideally any file that is loaded into Struts via the classpath
would have an opportunity to control the configuration and/or
initialization/lifecycle of the framework. This could be in a plugin
JAR, which would probably be the most common. But it could also be
within an application.

I noticed that it was a different DTD, so it would be possible to use it
without major modifications as long as the XWork configuration system
that leverages these files will happily ignore unknown entries.
Otherwise, the Struts configuration will need to be post processed first
and then handed to XWork. I'll start taking a look into this an see what
I can find.

-bp