struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu ☀" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:46:23 GMT
On 4/27/07, Philip Luppens <philip.luppens@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would be useful, but limited to those who know/use WW, and I don't
> think any of those three guys can make it to ApacheCon US.
> A Struts 1 to Struts 2 topic, now thát's something entirely different
> (damn, there goes my proposal).
>
> Anyway, while I do applaud any attempt at getting more people to try
> out S2, I'd like to see some more advanced topics like the talk Jason
> gave at TSS 2005 [1].
>
> I mean, for a somewhat intelligent developer, figuring out how S2
> works, takes just a couple of minutes and one architectural overview.
> They're probably already familiar with interceptors, actions and well,
> results. Annotations, Ajax, etc .. is not that rare anymore in the
> world of (java) web frameworks, and being able to build a blog from
> scratch in 10 minutes is just .. well, not exciting anymore (note: I'm
> not arguing about the usefulness - but that's information that I can
> find on the web within 10 minutes, and not something I want to go to a
> conference for).
>
> I hope it are those intelligent developers we can win over, with
> top-notch features, ease & speed of development, etc. They'll be
> making the decision (or at least, that's what I hope) about what
> framework to use for their next entreprise project. Leave the 10 min
> blogs to the rails/PHP guys.
>
> My 2 cents, not to be taken too seriously - it's friday after all,

Even if it is Friday, this is very well articulated :-).
Unfortunately, I must confess that I've rarely seen such sessions, and
this not because the presenter was not good enough but mainly because
a conference gather together people on different levels and you will
not like to loose the beginners. If you check the conference
programmes you'll notice that most of the topics are medium level, the
rest being beginner (and just a few advanced).

So, I guess for those top-notch developers we are left with the last
10-15 minutes opened for questions :-).

bests,

./alex
--