struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Benedict" <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: s1 modules module
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2007 05:04:27 GMT
On 4/21/07, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:

> A key problem with an omnibus JAR isn't so much the other classes
> (that the JVM wouldn't load) or the dependencies (that Maven wouldn't
> import), but just handling the logging statements. In practice, the
> optional code might want to try and initialize itself if the
> dependency is present, or not if the dependency is absent. Either way,
> we'd probably want to log whether it found the dependency and loaded
> or not, otherwise a lot of people will be wondering why an extra
> doesn't work. But, if there is more than one extra in a JAR, then not
> statements like "The Spring Extra didn't initialize, but that might be
> OK if you're not using Spring!".

Alright. Having an "extras" project per integration technology is fine. I
agree with you and Martin. That sounds very good tome.

We tried the optional route with Struts 2 and ultimately went to a
> full-blown plugin system, because of issues like these.
>
> We might want to think about framing this initiative as a strategy
> that third-parties could also follow, as we did with the Struts 2
> plugins.

We already have a plug-in system in 1.x. I don't think I want to develop
plugins -- but I do want to provide a standard community library for
integration classes.

Paul