struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jive Forum in Struts Zone
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:09:32 GMT
On 4/3/07, James Mitchell <jmitchtx@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with using our zone is that infra tends to treat the zone
> machines as if they are just toys, and that projects/people should
> not complain if they.....oh....I don't know....reboot it randomly
> without warning.

True, but infrastructure did not raise a technical concern regarding
bandwidth or hardware resource allocations. Initially, we could open
the forums up to committers and other key contributors, so that we can
decide for ourselves whether the benefit is worth the effort. If there
are volunteers to maintain the forum, we can look to moving it to a
production machine. Essentially, this is how we got JIRA and
Confluence into play. Like JIRA and Confluence, Jive Forums is based
on WebWork, so part of this is about eating our own dog food :)

> Using nabble seems to be the path of least resistance.

Hey,  if someone wants to take the lead on promoting the use of Nabble
forums within the Struts community, that too would be a good thing.
Nabble does seems like a good option, which is why I was the first to
mention it, but very few people seem to realize it can be used as a
forum.