struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: s1 - 1.x "Future" Issues
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:14:03 GMT
On 2/19/07, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> The purpose of the Road Map is to assign issues to a release. Since "Future"
> is not a version or a release -- but just a grouping of issues for the
> "future" -- it has little use, and the way we use it tells me we're using
> the Road Map wrongly. Now, I believe that's the case, but I am not going to
> fight this issue too strongly because it is not critical to anything. I'll
> re-examining past decisions. I haven't seen other JIRA projects slating
> things into a "Future" version -- and probably because it's not a version.
>
> Paul

For what it's worth, we're using a "TBD" version identifier in Shale
for the same concept that "Future" seems intended for in Struts ... to
track things that are real issues (either bugs or RFEs), but for which
no one has yet stepped up and said "I want to deal with this for a
particular release".  This is different from "Unscheduled" (the
default state when a new issue is created), because it has to be
looked at and assigned, instead of being closed as "Will Not Fix" or
"Not A Problem" immediately.

An issue tracking system should (IMHO) be useful for more than just
roadmaps and release notes.  Let's say you hear from an enthusiastic
user who wants to contribute to the project, but doesn't have a
specific idea on where to start.  Where do you send him or her to get
some ideas?  For Shale, I've got a simple answer[1].  Wouldn't Struts
like to have the same ability?

Craig

[1] https://issues.apache.org/struts/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=10130&fixfor=21773