struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Musachy Barroso" <musa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Structs 2 feedback
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:51:57 GMT
Phil is right, what I meant with "open to anyone", was, open to anyone that
wants to help :).

I think some of the most important things for new users are:

1. Features List
These are on the home page, quite visible, no problem.

2. Getting started
The whole difference between "Tutorial" and "Guides" is rather confusing for
new users, and navigating the wiki is not a simple task. There is also the
idea of "Documentation" whose home page, is the getting started.

I think the links under documentation on the homepage should be:
Getting Started -> Bootstrap tutorial    (I'll try to spend time on this
one, pulling content from the wiki, help wanted :) )
Tutorials           -> Keep current link     (We should link to Matt's
tutorial on that page)
FAQ                   -> Keep current link
Developers Guide -> Keep the link       (I know it is just a rename, but at
least a user will note the difference between it and the "Getting Started")
Wiki Pages            -> Link to wiki          (currently, it is under
"Support")

The "Release Notes" should be a link, where the download is, for each
download, not under documentation. Right now if you click on the release
notes you will see the release notes for 2.0.6, but you won't find a
download for 2.0.6 anywhere.

3. Downloads
Clicking on the "Releases" link will take you to a page, that has releases
for both S1, and S2, but the user was already on S2, no reason why he/she
should be seeing S1 releases listed there. I think there should be a
"Downloads" category on the menu with these links:
Latest Stable Release     -> Link to download page for the latest stable
release, which has a link to the release notes.
Older Releases                -> Other builds, releases, etc (just S2)

On the home page, there should be a "Download Now" and a "Get Started" image
, that pops out of the page (to the eye). Open Office's website is a good
example: http://www.openoffice.org/. If you are a new user, you will find
the links to what you need easily (Download + Getting Started), if you are a
user already, you will find your way around the navigation menu.

that was more than 2 cents right? :)

regards
musachy