struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Users guide
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:33:44 GMT
I don't have the time to work on a significant refactoring this year.
The most I can do is help keep what we have patched and up-to-date.

As a PMC member, I would be opposed to any project-sanctioned effort
that is going to create a set of redundant documents that would be
made part of a release. We have to be very sensitive to the limited
time our volunteers have available. We're lucky if we have time to
update the project documentation in one place, let alone three or four
different places.

But, if someone wants to start something on the S2 wiki site (S2WIKI),
or in the sandbox, to see if there's traction among other volunteers,
the rules of revolution would apply.

As to other parts of this thread, I'm not convinced that an XML format
would be the best thing for Struts 2. There's a lot to be said for
people being able to make changes in real time. With Confluence,
anyone with a CLA on file can pitch in and help. (And thanks very much
to those that already do!) Without a wiki, we're back to patches that
have to applied by committers. Of course, there is a DocBook Wiki, but
first we'd have to address the infrastructure issues.

Since the Struts 1 project documentation is already in XML, that's "a
horse of a different color".

-Ted.