struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Structs 2 feedback
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:48:15 GMT
On 2/8/07, Brian Pontarelli <brian@pontarelli.com> wrote:
> Hmmmm... This is a tough one, but I would think that a version scheme
> change discussion might be in order. It might be fruitless, but I think
> that type of versioning is pretty rough. Plus, there are nearly zero
> docs anywhere about it, not just with Struts2, but also with the Tomcat
> and httpd. Plus, I could probably safely state that 95% or more of all
> OS projects use the other model for versioning.

Oh, I don't know. Aside from HTTPD and Tomcat, it's also used by MySQL
and many, many others. It's less noticeable once there's been a GA
release, and the subsequent builds tends to go GA as well. In a few
more years, I'd expect that this will become the dominant open source
release system. The process is very straight-forward. Here's a
paragraph from our bylaws:

"After a proposed release is built, it must be tested and classified
before being released to the general public. The proposed release may
be assigned "Alpha", "Beta" or "General Availability" classifications
by majority vote. Once a release is classified by the PMC Members, it
may be distributed to the general public on behalf of the Foundation.
Distributions may be reclassified or withdrawn by majority vote, but
the release number may not be reused by another distribution."

> One more thing is that
> the versioning scheme doesn't appear to be followed because 2.0.2-2.0.6
> aren't available for download in anything but a snapshot version. If the
> model is that all "releases" receive a version than these should be
> available to download unless what you are saying is that some test
> builds never get released and therefore those version numbers become
> effectively dead versions. Personally I try to avoid dead versions
> numbers whenever possible.

All builds receive version numbers, but not all builds graduate to
public releases. The versions aren't dead, they just didn't make it
past a test build. We use these same numbers in the JIRA tickets and
notes, so it would be hard to simply bypass versions. Even though the
builds are make public, many people still test them with us, and we
refer to something being fixed or changed in 2.0.3 or 2.0.4.

Again, this is only noticeable because we haven't been able to issue a
GA release yet (mainly because our key dependency, XWork, only cam out
of beta itself in January).

-Ted.