struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip Luppens" <philip.lupp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance degradation for pages with long <select>
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:17:34 GMT
Hi Nikolay,

Please try to ask questions like this on the user mailing list.

I'm going to take a stab at this, and say Dojo is your offender. There
is a setting in Dojo that will cause it to start parsing after the
page has been fully rendered (rather than during it), but I cannot
recall it right now. If you apply that setting, things should speed up
again. I remember a case where this was the problem, so it might be
the same problem you're hitting.

Kind regards,

Phil

On 2/27/07, Nesterenko, Nikolay <nikolay_nesterenko@merck.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I had Struts 2 performance problem for any page with very long <select>,
>
> e.g., page with drop-down for all (>2400) cities and all (>2650) zips
> for the state of California.
> Such pages took 20-30 sec to be displayed.
>
> Logs show that time was consumed somewhere after page generation.
> Removing optional interceptors didn't help.
> I replaced jsp with the page HTML source from IE ... the same
> performance.
>
> Extract from the page source is presented below.
> It doesn't look right for the page having <s:head theme="css_xhtml"/>

>     // Dojo configuration
>     djConfig = {
>         baseRelativePath: "/custfind/struts/dojo",
>         isDebug: false,
>         bindEncoding: "UTF-8",
>         debugAtAllCosts: true // not needed, but allows the Venkman
> debugger to work with the includes
>     };
> </script>
> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"
>         src="/custfind/struts/dojo/dojo.js"></script>
> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"
>         src="/custfind/struts/simple/dojoRequire.js"></script>
>
> Removing this AJAX related code has fixed the issue.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Was AJAX template just forgotten in
> struts2-core-2.0.6.jar\template\simple\head.ftl and can be safely
> removed?
> 2. How (not existing in my application) "/custfind/struts/dojo/dojo.js"
> managed to take so much time?
>
> Thank you,
> Nick

> Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
> information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station,
> New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
> outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD
> and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
> available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
> confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
> message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
> message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
> delete it from your system.

iDTV System Engineer
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a
violent psychopath who knows where you live." - John F. Woods