struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip Luppens" <philip.lupp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Users guide
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:59:43 GMT
I understand we don't want duplicated docs, but at the moment, we have
to realize our Developers Guide is a mix of a Users Guide, Developers
Guide and Reference Guide.
If we take the following 'definitions' into account:

- Developers: in-depth architecture, creating and extending
Interceptors, Results, Validators, Themes, Templates, Plugins, ..

- Users: explain the high level architecture, create Actions, create
Views, configuration of the webapp (struts.xml, using annotations,
mapping, ..), ..

- Reference: contains the explanation and docs for each Validator,
Interceptor, Result, Annotation, .. by using the snippet macro.

I believe we can rearrange the docs fairly easily based on the list
above (I understand it would mean a lot of work - but I'm ok with that
and willing to step up for it). The amount of duplicated docs should
be reduced to a minimum.

Otoh, we could keep the current Developers Guide, and just provide an
'easy' outline or view for users that links to the current Developers
Guide.

Thoughts ?

Phil

On 2/14/07, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> I don't have the time to work on a significant refactoring this year.
> The most I can do is help keep what we have patched and up-to-date.
>
> As a PMC member, I would be opposed to any project-sanctioned effort
> that is going to create a set of redundant documents that would be
> made part of a release. We have to be very sensitive to the limited
> time our volunteers have available. We're lucky if we have time to
> update the project documentation in one place, let alone three or four
> different places.
>
> But, if someone wants to start something on the S2 wiki site (S2WIKI),
> or in the sandbox, to see if there's traction among other volunteers,
> the rules of revolution would apply.
>
> As to other parts of this thread, I'm not convinced that an XML format
> would be the best thing for Struts 2. There's a lot to be said for
> people being able to make changes in real time. With Confluence,
> anyone with a CLA on file can pitch in and help. (And thanks very much
> to those that already do!) Without a wiki, we're back to patches that
> have to applied by committers. Of course, there is a DocBook Wiki, but
> first we'd have to address the infrastructure issues.
>
> Since the Struts 1 project documentation is already in XML, that's "a
> horse of a different color".
>
> -Ted.
>

> On 2/14/07, Philip Luppens <philip.luppens@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok, any chance for a summary with roles on who's going to do what, and
> > in what timeframe ?
> >
> > Although limited in spare time (aren't we all), I'm definitely willing
> > to work on this (and I assume Musachy as well), but I would appreciate
> > directions or a concrete plan.
> >
> > Shoot.
> >
> > Phil

iDTV System Engineer
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a
violent psychopath who knows where you live." - John F. Woods