struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Joe Germuska" <...@germuska.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Struts Annotations 1.0.0
Date Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:51:13 GMT

> The release manager for Struts 2.0.4 will need to add a profile to
> settings.xml so that Maven can find the struts-annotations jar:
>
> [untested]
> <settings>
>   <profiles>
>       <profile>
>          <id>struts-annotations-101-staging</id>
>          <repositories>
>             <repository>
>                <id>struts-annotations-101-staging</id>
>                <url>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/struts-annotations-1.0.1/m2-staging-repository
> </url>
>             </repository>
>          </repositories>
>       </profile>
>    </profiles>
>    <activeProfiles>
>       <activeProfile>struts-annotations-101-staging</activeProfile>
>    </activeProfiles>
>
> </settings>

At the risk of complicating things, isn't bad form, if nothing else, to cut
a release based on a transient repository location?  One of the reasons to
use Maven is to have a reproducible build, and a release is the kind of
build which is more likely to need to be reproducible for some reason, and
it seems fairly likely that the "struts-annotations-101-staging" repository
will not be around for ever.

I will allow that this may be more about formality than anything else, and I
won't object to a build done this way, but it seemed worth mentioning.
Maybe someone else feels more strongly about it.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
-- Caetano Veloso