struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Joe Germuska" <...@germuska.com>
Subject Re: [S2] Freemarker 2.3.8? ( was Re: [S2] Freemarker Confusion)
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:13:56 GMT
On 1/23/07, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:

> For the core, I believe the external dependencies are Freemarker,
> OGNL, XWork, and Commons Logging. Of course, adding  plugins adds
> dependencies, but that's another matter.
>
> My heuristic is to stay current with the latest production release,
> unless there is a problem.  Otherwise, people using the framework may
> run into conflicts  Since we are a major consumer of most of these
> dependencies, it follows that we have a responsibility to stay current
> and help vet the latest releases.

I agree in principle.  I am just recalling some of the to-do over Commons
libraries in the past and problems with version compatibility, etc. It's one
thing for us to bump our compile-time dependency on something; it's another
to then start capitalizing on syntax only available in that version to the
point where rolling back later after problems are discovered is a serious
challenge.

For Freemarker, at this time, I don't see that as a problem.  The release is
mature, as far as open source goes.  I'm +1 for moving to it.

On this subject, what about commons-logging 1.1?  It seems to have a few
more compatibility issues (where more is > 0) as noted in
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/commons-logging-1.1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

In terms of calendar maturity, it's even older (May 2006) than Freemarker
2.3.8.  Is it just an oversight that we haven't moved to it?  or are the
aforementioned compatibility issues considered more substantial?

--
Joe Germuska

"The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
-- Caetano Veloso