struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Joe Germuska" <...@germuska.com>
Subject Re: [Tiles2] JSTL functions for Tiles taglib?
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 03:35:36 GMT
I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm just not understanding you.

If I use "<tiles:insertAttribute name="foo" /> and Foo was defined as a
string, the end result is a visible string in the page.  I have trouble
perceiving that as a definition, while it naturally fits my concept of
"insert."

Perhaps your concern is that there might be some indeterminacy between
whether any given attribute value might refer to a specific definition or is
actually intended as a mere string value.  I'm open to the position that
this is unnecessarily confusing, although my current feeling is that that's
not such a serious problem.

The original point, however, was that it is valuable to be able to have a
tag which inserts content based on an attribute's value whether that value
is a "template" (any valid servlet path) or a "definition" (something which
Tiles can use to invoke a servlet include including other tiles processing.)

If the tag which does this never includes a literal string, I would not find
that a big problem.  But if I need to know ahead of time whether I want to
insert a template or a definition, I think that's a shortcoming.

Joe