struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip Luppens" <philip.lupp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OGNL performance detrimental to Struts 2
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:56:04 GMT
> On 12/11/06, dice <frankd@autospeed.com> wrote:
>
> > By my own benchmarking I am finding Struts 2 somewhere between 5-10 times
> > slower than Struts 1 in JSP rendering. JProfiler is telling me OGNL is the
> > bottleneck.
>
> There's a similar thread on the webwork dev list:
>    http://forums.opensymphony.com/thread.jspa?threadID=52734&messageID=106274

I found that in my own own application, the problem was indeed related
to OGNL, but mostly for the form tags (things go very well when using
simple tags like iterator and property, but you lose everything as
soon as the first form/inputfield/select tags enter the game.

It was Don who actually pointed me to MVEL. Before, I tried to take a
quick stab at bytecode enhancements for OGNL, but lack of experience
with the OGNL architecture and ASM interfered with my plans.

It also seems my initial performance results about MVEL being 2x
slower than OGNL in interpreted mode were misplaced (well, I couldn't
get the compilation mode to work), so Chris Brock (its author) kindly
sent me some better constructs, which I'll be testing this week.

> --
> Wendy

Cheers,

Phil

iDTV System Engineer
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a
violent psychopath who knows where you live." - John F. Woods