struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [s1+tiles2] Where does Tiles2-Struts1 integration belong?
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:12:52 GMT
On 12/5/06, Antonio Petrelli <apetrelli@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello!
> I am now facing the problem of the integration of Tiles 2 with Struts 1,
> there is a JIRA issue for this:
> http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SB-15
>
> I wish to know from you if this integration must be put:
> 1. in Struts 1, replacing the current "struts-tiles" module;
> 2. in Tiles, creating a new module.
>
> I wish you to know that I am in favour of the first option, where
> integration code (that, correct me if I am wrong, is made of TilesAction
> and TilesPlugin) will be refactored to use Tiles 2 code, and all code
> moved to Tiles 2 will be removed.
>
> What do you think?

Better IMO to be in Struts1 - but until Tiles2 has a "GA" release the
current "struts-tiles" module can't be replaced, otherwise it will
prevent a "GA" release of Struts1. If you're ready to start work on
this now then we could copy the exisiting code to a new
"struts-tiles2" module and remove the old module once tiles has gone
GA. The other question in my mind is how much does tiles2 break
compatibility with the existing struts-tiles? If it does break
compatibility then perhaps we should just leave the existing
"struts-tiles" module to wither and decay rather than
removing/replacing.

Niall