struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [tiles2] Tiles TLP and Dimensions incubation
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:12:30 GMT
> [...]
> > Apache-land....

> > quickly,

> > > I know this has been said by others before, but let me make it very
> > clear:
> > > The ASF board does not like "umbrella" projects at all, and would most
> > > likely not approve Tiles as a TLP if it "smelled" of forthcoming
> > > sub-projects before it even got off the ground.
> >
> > actually, we were able to take Velocityto TLP with both existing
> > subprojects and the smell of forthcoming ones.  this was done with
> > much clarification, restriction, and debate on what constitutes an
> > acceptable "subproject".  the key difference is that Velocity will not
> > be a "bucket" project such as Jakarta or db.apache.org that exists to
> > group projects who share a conceptual space, but whose code and
> > community are unconnected.   instead, Velocity aims to be a true
> > "umbrella" where all the Velocity subprojects (spokes of the umbrella)
> > are truly sub-ordinate.   this means their code and community are
> > invested in the core Velocity template engine (the center pole) and do
> > not function without it.   the difference between bucket and umbrella
> > is crucial to building a healthy, shared community.
> >
> > other significant differences are that non of the sub-projects get
> > their own mailing list or svn permissions.  that would fragment the
> > community.
> >
> > > The reason that some people do not want Tiles to live on as a
> > sub-project
> > > within Struts is one of the same reasons that Shale went out on its own;
> > > sub-projects are a sign that a project is moving in the wrong direction;
> > > that is, in a direction that is not favoured by the ASF Board, and for
> > good
> > > reasons. Struts has been moving, and continues to move, in a direction
> > that
> > > eliminates the notion of sub-projects, the only exception being the two
> > > versions of the Struts framework itself.
> >
> > i really think this is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  just
> > because the sub-project things has been done poorly, doesn't mean that
> > it deserves to be eliminated.  i would hope that the board's
> > acceptance of Velocity and its subprojects as a TLP shows recognition
> > that it can be done right.
> >
> > > If Dimensions would ultimately be merged into Tiles, that is one thing,
> > and
> > > that might be fine. If, however, you are thinking that Dimensions would
> > live
> > > as a "similar concept but separate framework" to Tiles, but within the
> > same
> > > TLP, that is quite another thing, and not something I would like to see,
> > not
> > > to mention the ASF Board.
> >
> > agreed.  conceptual association is totally insufficient grounds for
> > shared community.
>

> That's really the crux of what I was trying to say. Clearly, I didn't say it

excellent!  so long as we do not plan to ban any and all subprojects
from this Tiles TLP we're trying to create, i will be happy.   but, if
you'd like, feel free to join me in my quest and differentiate between
"conceptual bucket TLPs" and "code-connected umbrella TLPs".  :)
since we began the effort to extricate the Velocity umbrella from the
Jakarta bucket, i've been making a concerted effort to refine the
language here in hopes of changing how the ASF thinks about these
issues.