struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: [S2] Tag attribute changes and Dojo upgrade
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 05:29:29 GMT
I think the core issue is a misperception that Struts 2.0 is a clean
slate, and therefore, we can remove/change any tags and attributes we
wish.  While this seems to be the case at first glance, Struts 2.0 is
really a continuation of WebWork 2.2 and therefore, we do have to worry
about backwards compatibility.  So much so that we shouldn't
change/remove any tags or attributes unless a long, public discussion
has taken place and it is determined it is absolutely necessary.  And
even then, we should probably go through a deprecate cycle.

That said, could you go through your tag changes and ensure that we have
kept all tags and attributes as they were, and explicitly list those
that you really feel we should remove/change.  The original WebWork 2.2
tags may have not been the best named, most consistent, or fully
featured, but we need to make the best possible effort to keep within
those lines.

Struts 2.0 is advertised as a smooth, painless upgrade for WebWork 2.2
applications, and to make that happen, we need to be very, very careful.

Don