struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Updated Tiles Graduation Proposal
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:15:42 GMT
On 11/28/06, Greg Reddin <greddin@apache.org> wrote:

> > Since we've failed to build consensus, I've published a versioned
> > snapshot that will have to suffice for 2.0.2 and I will begin to
> > drive the effort for TLP :( - it's not my preference but it will
> > have to work.
>
> Hang on, slow down just a bit :-)  Before we jump off the TLP cliff
> let's make sure we know all the options and have consensus from
> everybody involved.

As a historical note, the ASF Board really doesn't like "umbrella" projects,
and has actively encouraged the "graduation mania" we've seen out of Jakarta
over the last couple of years.

Here's the viable choices as I see them:

> 1)  Jakarta Web Components Subproject - What components will make up
> this list?  Who all needs to be involved in the discussion?
> 2)  Apache Web Components TLP - What components will make up this
> list?  Who needs to be involved in the discussion?  What's the
> process to proceed?
> 3) Apache Tiles TLP - Seems we could do this here and now and submit
> a proposal to the board.  Who else should we bring into the discussion?

I'd be happy to be involved in #3 ... either #1 or #2 seems like a built in
scenario for wishy washy boundary discussions, plus scope creep.  For
example, how do you define "web component" in such a way that Struts itself
would not qualify?  If that were OK, how do you decide when a web component
should itself graduate?

Writing code is much more fun than writing umbrella project charter
documents :-).

Craig

Options that have been discussed and rejected: