struts-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Angelo zerr" <angelo.z...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Struts 2 & AJAX only with dojo?
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 09:57:05 GMT
Thank you for your answers.
I undrestand better why Struts2 use dojo. I think It's very important to
explain
in the Struts2 documentation the dojo choice (portlet environment,...),
because
a lot of people use prototype/scriptaculous (like AjaxTags).

I forwarded your mail into Rails forums, to see if there is a solution
to use prototype into environnment portlet. If I have not a solution
I will try new version of dojo to see how it works.

But it seems that Scriptaculous effect is better than dojo like drag/drop.
In my open source project, I use a great treeview tafeltree based on
Srciptaculous)
see demo at :
http://jscontrolstags.sourceforge.net/controls/treeview/treeview.html
There is a lot of functionnality, like open with AJAX, drag/drop, copy tree
node, edit node,...
I must study dojo before.

Thank you again


2006/11/5, Musachy Barroso <musachy@gmail.com>:
>
> I had never used Dojo before I started playing with struts. The thing I
> didn't liked was the lack of documentation, but with 0.4 they improved it
> a
> lot  (http://dojotoolkit.org/api/?).  Another thing is that everything
> seems
> to change really fast, but it is shaping  out, and the namespaces are a
> welcomed addition. When my patch gets through I will start working on the
> documentation of the widgets that are already implemented, and start
> working
> on the autocomplete widget.  So Angelo, if you  decide to take Dojo for a
> spin, there are plenty of things to do over here :)
>
> musachy
>
> On 11/4/06, Frank W. Zammetti <fzlists@omnytex.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, November 4, 2006 5:29 pm, Martin Cooper wrote:
> > > It's not a question of which one has the most widgets. Prototype, and
> > > hence
> > > script.aculo.us, is fragile, especially in a portlet environment, so
> we
> > > cannot, in good conscience, encourage people to use that to build
> robust
> > > enterprise-ready applications. Since Struts supports portlet
> > development,
> > > we
> > > don't want to have to say "oh, but you shouldn't use our AJAX tags if
> > > you're
> > > building portlets".
> >
> > Many people are rather fond of Prototype, so I think it might be a good
> > thing to explain why Martin calls it "fragile", for those that might not
> > be aware...
> >
> > Prototype modifies some intrinsic Javascript objects.  Arrays for
> example
> > have some additional methods, among other things.  Some of this can
> > conceivably (and in practice sometimes) break other code that depends on
> > those intrinsic objects working a certain way.  Especially in a portlet
> > environment, where you aren't in complete control of the full page, this
> > can lead to some very unexpected consequences... it would really suck to
> > create a portlet that your company gives to its clients that you've
> tested
> > every which way you can and found it to work, then find it breaks in
> your
> > clients' portals because they have some portlet you don't and which
> > doesn't play nice with these changes Prototype makes.
> >
> > Another problem with Prototype is that it isn't properly (or at least
> > fully) namespaced... for example, Prototype defines a Field and Form
> > object in global scope (well, it DID... I haven't looked to see if
> recent
> > versions may have corrected this).  Especially these two examples, which
> > are clearly pretty common names that other developers may choose as
> well,
> > can easily lead to conflicts.  Again, in a portal environment, where you
> > aren't developing a complete page and therefore can't be sure what might
> > be present on the page at any given time, you can run into some big
> > problems because of this.
> >
> > I don't think anyone is saying Prototype is inherently bad... if you are
> > writing a typical webapp where you are in control of the entire page,
> you
> > can quite easily work around these issues, or never run into them in the
> > first place, and be perfectly happy with Prototype, and to be sure, many
> > people are (as well as scriptaculous, and others that use
> Prototype).  In
> > a portal environment though, the rules of the game are quite different,
> > and Prototype can lead to issues because of these two points.
> >
> > > I'm not sure why you say you can't write valid XHTML with Dojo; you
> can.
> > > There are three ways of adding Dojo widgets to your apps. Yes, not all
> > of
> > > them will give you XHTML that will validate, but at least one of them
> > > does.
> >
> > I think Angelo is clearly referring to the markup approach to widget
> > creation... correct me if I'm wrong Martin, but isn't it in fact true
> that
> > with that approach you cannot write valid XHTML because of widgetId,
> > dojoType, etc?  Of course your right, that's not the only way to use
> > widgets... but you mentioned three ways... out of curiosity, what's the
> > third, aside from markup and programmatic creation?
> >
> > > And as for effects, they're getting better all the time. Have you
> tried
> > > 0.4yet?
> >
> > Indeed... with Dojo, it's important to realize that it's still
> relatively
> > early in its lifecycle... with each new versions comes pretty big
> > improvements... I looked at it for the first time roughly a year or so
> > ago, and it looked interesting, but very immature (I in fact wrote a
> > warning because of this in my AJAX book)... note that this isn't just a
> > quality of code concern, or a functionality concern, it also includes
> > documentation, support, examples, etc... looking at it now though, you
> can
> > see a really vast improvement compared to where it was just a short time
> > ago... there's still things to not be thrilled with, but most people
> tend
> > to agree that the pluses outweigh the minuses by a good margin at this
> > point.
> >
> > > Martin Cooper
> >
> > Frank
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@struts.apache.org
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> "Hey you! Would you help me to carry the stone?" Pink Floyd
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message