struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduation Options (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Updated Tiles Graduation Proposal)
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:17:32 GMT
On 11/29/06, Greg Reddin <greddin@apache.org> wrote:
> What I'm not sure of is whether there are any prequalifications for
> being a chair, for example, does a chair already have to be an ASF
> member or a PMC member of an Apache project?  Or is it basically
> "whoever the board wants to appoint"?

It can be convenient for the chair to be a member, but it is not a requirement.

The board appoints the chair, but the board will rely on the PMCs
recommendation. In fact, one of the first tests of a PMC is whether
the group can agree on a who to recommend as the Chair. If the PMC
can't do this much, from the board's perspective, then there's no
point in letting it try to do more :)

It's the foundation's wish that PMCs be self-managing. The Board's
ability to appoint a Chair is a "big stick" we can use on rare
occasions when a PMC is drifting away from meritocracy and other ASF
principles. In the normal course, the board will simply affirm the
PMC's recommendation.

-Ted.