struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: [s2] Constant Configuration
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:47:39 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:
> On 11/21/06, Don Brown <mrdon@twdata.org> wrote:
>> Yeah, this would work, as would a new namespace, using XML comments, or
>> perhaps something else.  I was just pointing out that we'll need to
>> implement something like what works for properties now.
>
> I don't know what  "a new namespace" means.
>
> An advantage of actually putting the remarks in the element is that
> they can be parsed by anything that can read XML.
>
> What we've started to do with properties comments is a neat idea, and
> we should elevate it to a first-class feature with a clean
> implementation.
I've been toying with the idea of using proper namespaces for
struts-default.xml.  This would allow us to define new namespaces for
cases like this.  It could look like this:

<struts xmlns="http://struts.apache.org/2.0"
xmlns:doc="http://struts.apache.org/2.0/doc">
  <constant name="struts.devMode" value="false" doc:type="boolean">
    <doc:description>
      Dev mode is a neat mode ....
    </doc:description>
  </constant>
</struts>

Anyways, the point is we could add new elements and attributes without
affecting the core namespace.  Currently, this isn't possible since
DTD's don't allow it.
>> > Dispatcher field to match the setting name.)
>> Yeah, actually, this setting doesn't exist anymore.  This is because the
>> list of xml files to load can't be in the xml files to load....  So,
>> there is an web.xml init param you can set if you want to override
>> this.  Otherwise, the list in that Dispatcher constant will be used.
> > recite the same fact twice. (I suppose we should also rename the
> > Though, maybe this setting  could be injected now, so that we don't
>
> Well, it might be otherwise ignored, but a
> "struts.configuration.files" setting does exists in the
> default.properties.
>
> Is there a cannonical list of settings expressed as Java code? What
> determines whether a "setting exists"?
There is a class, StrutsConstants I believe, that has a list.

Don