struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: Showcase and zero xml config
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:34:45 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:
> Dynamic method calling isn't evil. Essentially, the framework
> framework defaults a dynamic method call to execute, when no other is
> specified. Wildcards utilize dynamic method calling too.
>
> The problem is how the original dynamic method calling is
> *implemented*. The original implementation doesn't create a virtual
> mapping, as do wildcards and the plugin. Exception code detects the
> bang, parses it out, and calls the other method -- behind the back of
> the rest of the framework. It was not implemented as a first-class
> feature. It's closer to a prototype feature that we never took to the
> next level.
>
> I'll look at the ClassPathProvider to see if we can use that to
> finally fix the original she-bang implementation.

Ah, OK, I see where you are coming from now.  Sure, if you use the
classpath provider, the problem is really solved.  We could create a
mapper for every action method we discover - "action", "action!execute",
"action!input" - which also has the advantage of making the
configuration browser plugin, which I think we really should promote
more, more useful.

Don