struts-dev mailing list archives

From tm jee <tm_...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [s2][OT] Guice rocks
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 02:14:17 GMT
Thx for the share of knowledge Konstantin. I'd need to read up about pico to be able to understand
more. :)

> I looked at javadocs ( there is no real docs besides
> it ) and sources, and it looks that it is really new,
> and there is not so much there.

Yup. Its pretty new. I think the codes are clean and very well written. I like the way it
uses the Factory interface as callbacks The uses of generics. Separation of internal and external
apis (eg. ExternalContext and Context / InternalContext, Factory vs InternalFactory ). The
callbacks are nicely used. Nice extension like FinalizableReferenceQueue that does clean up
upon gc. Use of adapters pattern  / transformer (hopefully i got this right)  like Function.
Resolving cyclic dependncy using Proxy etc.  :)

> I do not like idea of "scope" - it's kind looks
> "springy" to me. Scope can be obtained easily by using
> container hierarchy ( like nanocontainer does -
> it registers 3 container hierarchy with managed
> lifecycles, or possibly more like "one container per
> directory / package " )

I see. I am more used to the "scope" because of Spring. Pico does have a interesting way of
doing things. I guess its like a composite / chain kindof thing, but I'll need to read up
about pico to understand more. ;)

> There are a lot of such  adapters also for remote
> access ( just register it with interface and backend
> url,  and your action gets webservice bean injected
> without knowing it )  etc. The same would work with
> ejb / jndi lookup or whatever.

I see, i guess its something like Spring's FactoryBean/ProxyFactoryBean. I guess in Guice,
one could registor a custom factory using ContainerBuilder, but I might be totally wrong.
:)

Unfortunately I can't make it to JavaPolis. what a pitty. If you decided to have a blog, do
let me know. I could be reached at (tm_jee at yahoo dot co do uk).

Cheers.

rgds

Konstantin Priblouda <kpriblouda@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- tm jee  wrote:

> Thx for the reply. If you have any finding, I'd be
> glad to learn more about it. I am kindof interested
> in this area as well. But i am still a beginner so I
> might talk nonsense... :P

Well, I'm  pretty used to DI / IoC containers ( being
pico commiter ;) )

I looked at javadocs ( there is no real docs besides
it ) and sources, and it looks that it is really new,
and there is not so much there.

I do not like idea of "scope" - it's kind looks
"springy" to me. Scope can be obtained easily by using
container hierarchy ( like nanocontainer does -
it registers 3 container hierarchy with managed
lifecycles, or possibly more like "one container per
directory / package " )

Though this code did not made it into S2 codebase yet
pending issue with source headers ( and WW-1370 ), it
is usable.

Storage of wiring information in annotations is a nice
idea, but not really flexible ( Is it posssible to
manipulate annotations on a class, or are they bound
at compile time? )

Pico uses "component adapters" instead, which can be
( and usually are ) chained to specify some really
weird behaviour like:

(constructor injection) -> (parameters via setter) ->
( aop) -> (cache/threadlocal)

There are a lot of such  adapters also for remote
access ( just register it with interface and backend
url,  and your action gets webservice bean injected
without knowing it )  etc. The same would work with
ejb / jndi lookup or whatever.

So, there is definitely no need to invent yet another
DI container for xwork unless you have fun of it ;)

> Have you got a blog? Maybe blog about your findings
> would be nice. I'll definitely subscribe to it.

not yet. being a hausmate I'm definitely enitled to
one
at blogs.codehaus.org, but I did not figured out how
to activate it yet ;)

If you go to javapolis, we can surely met at dinner ;)

regards,

----[ Konstantin Pribluda http://www.pribluda.de ]----------------
Still using XDoclet 1.x?  XDoclet 2 is released and of production quality.
check it out: http://xdoclet.codehaus.org