struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing Tiles (was: Re: [s2] 2.0.2 release this weekend)
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:11:05 GMT
On 11/21/06, David H. DeWolf <ddewolf@apache.org> wrote:

> Wendy Smoak wrote:
> > On 11/20/06, David H. DeWolf <ddewolf@apache.org> wrote:
> >> How about getting an initial tiles release out so that the 2.0.2 tiles
> >> plugin can rely upon it instead of a snapshot? It would probably only
> be
> >> 'alpha' quality at this point, but the same snapshot logic that you
> >> described below applies to it.
> >>
> >> I'll do the release (prior to the weekend), if someone that's done one
> >> before will help me through it.
> >
> > Tiles 2 is in the sandbox, and sandbox projects are not allowed to do
> > releases.  Choosing a particular snapshot for Struts 2 to depend on is
> > all we can do, unless we change the rules.
>
> Ok, thanks for clarifying.
>

> > If Tiles is ready to graduate, then we need to decide where it's going
> > to live.  Top level?  Over at Jakarta, or wasn't there some sort of
> > 'web components' project being started?
> >

> Are these the only two options?  My fear with both of them (a top level
> project or the 'seed' project for a new web components project at
> jakarta) would be lack of community due to the fact that there seem to
> be just a few active committers interested in tiles right now.  Jakarta
> would be an option, though their recent trend seems to be graduating
> projects to TLP - not accepting new projects.
>
> Is it possible for tiles2 to 'graduate' into a full struts project
> (sibling of struts1 and struts2) until it gains a little more momentum?
>   The idea would be to allow tiles to leverage the
> participation/oversight   that's allready here?  This seems to make
> sense since I would guess that the vast majority of tiles users are
> using it in conjunction with one version of struts or another.

I actually think this would make a great deal of sense as an interim step
for Tiles. While the long term goal would be for Tiles to move away from
home and find its own place to live, letting it spend its adolescence here
seems appropriate. ;-) It does seem a little drastic to say that the choice
is to stay in the sandbox or leave entirely.

Also, what warrants graduation from the sandbox?  A we assuming the same
> requirements as graduating a project from the incubator?  My assessment
> at this point is that tiles has come a long way and is ready to be
> pushed out to the masses in order to allow them to play.  I'd like to
> 'release early/release often'.

Well, we don't have a process as formal as that of the Incubator, but I
suppose along the same general lines. A demonstration of activity and
community is sufficient, and I believe Tiles has done that. Really, the
sandbox has been used to "contain" projects that might not go anywhere, and
Tiles is well beyond that now. So, I'd say graduating makes sense.

--
Martin Cooper

Thoughts?