struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [S2] Spring 2 for Struts 2?
Date Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:28:33 GMT
On 10/15/06, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> On 10/14/06, Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org> wrote:
> > Other than a shiny new version number, what will this buy us? I don't have
> > any objections per se, but we should have good reasons for changing our
> > dependencies.
>
> Whether Struts 2 works with Spring 2 is becoming a FAQ. It seems
> easier to say that Struts 2 is backwardly compatiblity with Spring 1.x
> than to explain that people tell us it is forwardly compatible with
> Spring 2. As a group, we know it works well with Spring 1.x now, and
> this would be an ideal time to make sure, as a group, that it works
> with Spring 2.x too.

Agreed.

> I don't know about anyone else, but at work, we make a point of
> updating our dependencies to the best-available version as we ramp up
> for a major release. We want to be current as we do the final
> nit-picking acceptance tests, so that we don't get stuck with a
> dependency on a stale version once we roll out.

Still, this is not true for every IT shop. Having
integration/functional tests that will guarantee that the upgrade will
work immediately (or what changes are needed) is the optimal
situation, but we must agree that it is not always like this. So, the
effort to upgrade is quite big sometimes.

The only thing I am trying to say is: I would really like to be sure
that Struts2 works with both Spring 1 and Spring 2. If not, then my
vote will be -0.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.