struts-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <gred...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [tiles2] Classpath Configuration
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:26:47 GMT

On Oct 12, 2006, at 3:42 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> I don't know if it's useful, but I submitted a patch (I don't know
> if it applies correctly though) some time ago to enable an easier
> extension to Tiles defiinitions factory:
> https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SB-28

You're right, I forgot about that.

I looked briefly at the patch and I have no opposition to it.  I
originally didn't like the fact that it excluded Locale as a first
class citizen when determining which definition to return.  I'm still
not real excited about that part.  I think locale-based definitions
are a core feature of Tiles, not an optional feature.  By replacing
locale with TilesContext we've essentially made it optional.  The
fact that it processes by locale is only an implementation detail.
Hopefully, it's a detail that every implementation would include, but
the API doesn't enforce it.

OTOH, I wouldn't be in favor of requiring TilesContext *and* Locale
as that would be redundant.  So, in the end, I don't have a problem
with the patch as it stands.  I'd prefer it if we could have some way
to better enforce Locale processing at the API level, but I can live
with it as it is. The biggest benefit I see is that some of that
TilesUtil stuff is moved into the factory.

Can you make it work with the latest Tiles code and commit it?  If we
end up not liking it we can always back it out.

Greg