struts-dev mailing list archives

From "David H. DeWolf" <ddew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [tiles2] TilesContextFactory refactor
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 04:36:05 GMT

Greg Reddin wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2006, at 3:23 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:
>
>> Now the question is: Why do you need multiple
>> TilesApplicationContexts? Just curious :-)
>
> I think David was asking the same question.  If Tiles is deployed in a
> common classloader (i.e. Tomcat's common/lib directory) you'd want each
> application to have its own TilesApplicationContext since each
> application would have its own instances of the internal components
> wrapped by TilesApplicationContext.  That just sounds like more trouble
> than it's worth supporting IMO :-)  But, inevitably somebody will plunk
> the tiles JAR down in common/lib and start hollering about things not
> working.  So we should probably at least document the issues with it.

Exactly: the only reason you'd need more than one would be when someone
tries to get fancy and use common/lib.  MHO is that not only is it more
trouble than it's worth - using common/lib for a webapp library is also
something we should discourage.  Providing documented "non-support" is
definitely a form of discouragement :)

I'll go ahead and refactor to support only one TilesApplicationContext
and then move forward with the configurabality feature.