struts-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Luppens <forum-struts-...@opensymphony.com>
Subject Re: JXP Template support?
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:19:01 GMT
> On 10/16/06, Patrick Lightbody
> <forum-struts-dev@opensymphony.com> wrote:
> >
> > Take a look at JXP: http://jxp.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > This might be very close to the template language I
> have been looking for
> > that is JSP-like, but has the advantages that
> FreeMarker and Velocity
> > provide in that it can be loaded from the
> classpath. I've wanted to select
> > something like this as the template language used
> by the UI tags (instead of
> > FreeMarker).
> >
> > What do you guys think?
>

> Calling it a "template language" seems a bit of a
> stretch, to me. It's
> basically untouched content with the ability to drop
> pseudo-Java code into
> it. So it has the attributes of JSP that people most
> dislike about JSP. ;-)
> There are no tags or expression language, no control
> over headers or content
> type, a potentially confusing syntax (being only
> pseudo-Java), and it
> appears to be tied to the Servlet API. Add to that
> the LGPL license and that
> it's a one-man project, and I can't say I'd be
> enthusiastic about adding
> support for it.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper

I wouldn't go that far - the author (if it's indeed a one-man-show, couldn't find it) is quite
persistent (it's been around for more than 2 years). It's not tied to the servlet api afaik
(see the faq), and the lack of headers/expression language is not thát important. Patrick
was only suggesting this for the WW tags, not as an additional Result (but it would be trivial
to add this). That's why I'm only really interested in the performance, since that's where
it would matter.

But like I said on the Jira; if you copy the templates to your webapp root, Freemarker can
fully use its cache. Works like a charm, but it's too bad it's not an 'out of the box' solution.

Cheers,

Phil