struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [tiles2] Problem with Maven
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:49:56 GMT
On 9/4/06, Antonio Petrelli <brenmcguire@tariffenet.it> wrote:
> When I launch "mvn test" with Tiles 2 this is what I get:
>
> <snip>
> [INFO] Scanning for projects...
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] FATAL ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> GroupId: org.apache.struts
> ArtifactId: struts-master
> Version: 4-SNAPSHOT

>   org.apache.struts:struts-master:pom:4-SNAPSHOT
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
> </snip>
>
> A stack trace follows. I removed the "parent" part in pom.xml and it
> works, but I don't know if it is correct.
> Does it happen also to you?

No, because I have the apache.snapshots repository configured in my
own settings.xml file.  It's a bootstrap problem because tiles-parent
inherites from struts-master... but without struts-master, you don't
have the repository definitions. :)

I've temporarily added the apache.snapshots repo to tiles-parent as
Mehdi suggested.  This is only necessary while Tiles 2 depends on a
snapshot of the struts-master pom.

If you run into something like this again, another "fix" is for you to
build the missing dependency locally so it will already be in your
local repository when Maven looks for it.  In this case, that would
be:

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/maven/trunk/pom
cd pom
mvn install

Later, Antonio wrote:
> Anyway about your fixes, I will wait until Wendy checks if it is what
> she wanted to do. For example, I think that Tiles is not a child of
> Struts anymore.

Tiles 2 still "belongs" to Struts. :)  As long as it lives here, the
Struts PMC is responsible for it.

Inheriting from the struts-master pom is not really a requirement, but
it would lead to more duplication in the tiles-parent pom since we
like to list all the committers in the Maven-generated website.

--
Wendy