struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts "Legacy" (I prefer not)
Date Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:46:14 GMT
On 9/24/06, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> if I require "3 souls" (Ted's email) I hope they stick around
> so I can do more releases!

s/I/we

If this is about what one person wants to do, then, yes, we should
stop now. It should be about collaborating with several other people
who share a common vision. In this case, the common vision should
include collaborating with everyone, regardless of whether our
individual focus is on Struts 1 or Struts 2. I do believe we all share
a common vision. It's just a matter of how many interim releases we
need to get there.

> My point is that inside of providing a "compat" package, which I see as
> an actual stumbling block, we advocate people running the s1 action
> servlet alongside s2.

At this point, I don't know anyone who has had enough real life
experience to advocate anything. I'm about to post an early release of
a tutorial about Migrating to Struts 2 from Struts 1, where we start
with a Struts 1 application and then move things over to Struts 2, one
by one. That worked fairly well, but it is non-trivial.

Having other options would be helpful, and I think having integration
code between Struts 2 and  Struts 2 is a good thing, and we should
consider doing the same for other products as well.

-Ted.