struts-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts "Legacy" (I prefer not)
Date Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:03:25 GMT
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> Don Brown wrote:
>> Let's be honest - there isn't anything that Struts 1 does that Struts
>> 2 doesn't do and doesn't do better.
>
> This may or may not be true *NOW*, but you may have missed the point:
> Paul, and Michael at least, have for a long time now been saying they
> have a lot of ideas for Struts 1 and want to continue developing it, not
> merely support it as a legacy framework.

Frank expressed the heart of my email. I am not only going to support s1
in terms of bug fixes, but major new features. Now that's okay, right?
No one has ever told me s1 is off-limits for new development, and so
that's why I do not consider it "legacy" and why having a "compat"
package might make things "uncompat"ible if it gets out of date.

I have no problem hearing how s1 does things worse than s2 :-) The facts
and truth are in the codebase already; so having a person say it doesn't
hurt anything. I certainly don't want the umbrella label framework
either (I am heavily against it), but if I require "3 souls" (Ted's
email) I hope they stick around so I can do more releases!

My point is that inside of providing a "compat" package, which I see as
an actual stumbling block, we advocate people running the s1 action
servlet alongside s2.

Paul